Saturday, February 6, 2010

Texas Chili......Kentucky style!!!!

When I moved to Texas, I learned quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry that chili is pretty much King in the Lonestar State - along with BBQ, football, and fried foods at the State Fair. Well, they didn't know, but this Kentucky Girl had her own chili recipe.


In theory, it's the nastiest thing to look at, but one of my secrets to great chili is Field's condensed chili rolls - which, of course, you can only purchase in small town Kentucky groceries. Field is a company based in Owensboro, and each time I'm home I always bring some back. I guess for the non-culinary talents of the world, they simply add water to the chili roll and call it a day. Not me. Oh no, it's just the beginning!!!

I also have the incredible privilege to have parents that garden until their fingers bleed. This garden should be considered as one of the Wonders of the World..........sweet corn, tomatoes, various kinds of peppers, green beans, lima beans, okra, and the list goes on. But, as much labor as it requires, I love going home to help Mom and Dad collect their bounty. My favorite is probably corn relish, I literally eat it out of the jar with a spoon. I'm also a stickler for homemade tomato juice. Dad likes to season everything with hot peppers, but because I'm a sissy with heat, he makes a special batch of tomato juice for his favorite only child: ME!!!!!

When I'm making vegetable soup or chili, the ingredients stay the same, but the quantity is as random as a lottery winner. No matter what, though, I start with the biggest pot in my arsenal: my Paula Pot (no doubt, from the Paula Dean collection).


Nicole's Dee-Lish Chili
3 lbs. ground beef
1 lb. sausage
2 Field chili rolls
2 quarts tomato juice
2 cans (15 oz. each) tomato sauce
1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. paprika
4 Tbsp. chili powder

In a large stock pot, over medium heat, cook ground beef and sausage until no longer pink. Drain well. Add chili rolls, tomato juice, sauce, paste, pepper, paprika, and chili powder. Stir well, reduce heat to simmer, and cover. Simmer at least an hour, 3-4 hours preferred, stirring often.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The chili rolls include beans, but you could add additional cans if you prefer. Personally, I don't like lots of beans in my chili. You could also add crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, and even more heat. This is a basic recipe that you can adjust to suit your own likes.

And, before you even ask, this is NOT remotely close to healthy or good for you. It's comfort food. It's supposed to stick to your ribs.

4 comments:

  1. Nicole,
    The chili roll by Field is no longer available in our local KY groceries. They are stocking two other brands that are absolutely nasty. I sincerely hope that Field is able to make repairs to their plant and get this product back on the market shelves soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fields chili rolls are back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was raised on mutton and Fields Chili Rolls Yes... born and raised in Owensboro KY I've lived in FL for over 35 years [still bleed blue and white] ! I'm ready to cry since I can't find the chili rolls here !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I've lived in Owensboro all my life and I'm a welder that does repair work to the ovens at Fields Packing quite often I'll have to say that I know what goes on in this food processing plant and yeah there are some good products that come from this place but you have to admit most of the products are extremely greasy such as the chili rolls, trust me I know and have seen what these food processing plants put in our food as I have worked in probably 20 of the 50 states at every food processing company you can name that cook and liquid smoke the foods we eat every day...🤮🤮Just saying...

    ReplyDelete