Saturday, February 13, 2010

Record-breaking snowfall + dinner at Blue Mesa with Rev. L + an evening with "The Shack" author Paul Young = PRICELESS

Thursday began just like any other day except one little detail: SNOW!!!! Now, unlike others my age, I watch the local and national news for the latest headlines and weather forecasts. I grew up watching NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, and yes I cried when he announced his retirement, but I've become accustomed to Brian Williams. For local news, I watch WFAA Channel 8, an ABC affiliate. I'm now partial to Gloria Campos, John McKaa, and the oh-so-adorable-weather-man, Pete Delkus. Speaking of Pete, he warned North Texas that snow was a-comin' and to be prepared. At noon, the snow was heavier and falling faster. Several local school districs, except Burleson, had early dismissals. When Burleson schools finally dismissed at normal-hour, nearly six-inches of snow was on the ground.

More than 8 inches of snow at our house on Friday!!!!

For more than two weeks, I had been scheduled to be at Texas Christian University for an evening with Paul Young, the author of the mega-hit, "The Shack." In fact, there were 20 people from First United Methodist Church in Joshua planning to attend. Despite the snow and deteriorating road conditions, Rev. L and I were determined to be there! She was already in Fort Worth for a prior appointment, and I left Burleson about 4:30 and slowly, and very cautiously, made my way to the TCU area of southwest Fort Worth. Roads were covered with a messy slush of snow, but the temperatures were steady around the 34-degree mark.

Since the rest of our church family decided to stay home, Rev. L and I met at Blue Mesa Grill for dinner. Speaking of delicious-ness, this place was awesome! They have these homemade sweet potato chips that are amazing, and even better dipped in the tableside guacamole. For our entrees, Rev. L had goat cheese enchiladas and I had chicken and spinach enchiladas. I already have menu items selected for my next visit, this place was really, really tasty! And, they are very allergy-friendly too. The waiter was knowledgeable of the menu and the chef was extremely courteous when he personally brought my entree and assured it had been prepared with oil instead of butter. Two thumbs up for this place, I am a big fan and will definitely visit again. Check out their website, they also post several of their popular recipes, including specialty drinks.


Since TCU had cancelled classes and their campus was closed, "The Shack" event was moved next door to the University Christian Church, a beautiful, and traditional church located on South University Drive. The limestone columns, colorful stained glass murals, and grand pipe organ was breathtaking. Walking into the sanctuary, I knew God was meeting me in this place. Seating was at a premium with inclement weather, it was a very intimate evening with Author Paul Young.

If you've not read "The Shack," it's a book that I highly recommend to any reader. It's a story of tradegy, surprise, healing and grace. Whatever notion of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit you have, reconsider the possibility of imagination. This is a book that I've read, and loved very much, but now hearing Young's story in his own voice, I want to read it again. I made connections I had never considered before. It's a picture into our own souls, reminding us to let go of the secrets that haunt our lives and to never put God into a box.

I left University Church around 8:30 and pulled into the garage at 9:45. The roads were still a slushy mess (and getting messier each mile!), but traffic was minimal and it was a gorgeous, peaceful, and wonder-filled night to drive home without rush. The snow was beautiful, reminded me of Kentucky winters. Driving in the snow doesn't bother me, of course I worry about the other drivers, but the traffic that I met this night were overly-cautious and driving very slow. I carefully passed them and continued on my way. I never exceeded 40 mph and never, EVER touched the brakes when on a bridge or overpass - DUH!!!

Call me crazy or stupid; say whatever you want about me driving in record-breaking snowfall and "risking my life to hear a silly author talk about his book." I enjoyed the evening, and I would do it again.

Thank you Brite Divinity School for hosting this most special event. Thank you Rev. L for having dinner with me and sharing laughs! Thank you Paul Young for your beautiful story. And, to my Heavenly Father, thank you for the band of angels that kept me safe on the drive to and from Fort Worth, and for Your infinite grace.

Peace and love,
Nicole

1 comment: