Monday, February 15, 2010

* HAPPY * FAT * TUESDAY *

I've not been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, but I'm sure the paaar-tayyyy is still going strong as the City celebrates the Saint's Super Bowl victory and Drew Bree's fantastic leadership as Most Valuable Player. The brief moment of Drew Brees with his son on the field afterwards was heartwarming.

Mardi Gras is French for "fat Tuesday" and is celebrated on the Tuesday prior to Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Just as red symbolizes Christmas, Mardi Gras also has signficant colors: purple represents justice, green represents faith, and gold represents power. Let the good times roll, Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday" will be celebrated on Tuesday, February 16, 2010.

I'm sure somewhere down the ancestory line, I've got some Cajun in me....but at least for the next few minutes I'll intensely pretend that I do and share one of my favorite Fat Tuesday recipes.

I was originally introduced to crawfish tail at The Feedmill Restaurant in Morganfield, Kentucky, also home to the most fabulous, most delicious, and most tasty fried gator tail you will ever put in your mouth. If I wasn't working full-time, and if it weren't so far, I would drive to Kentucky every week for my gator and crawfish fix!!!

I've deep-fried crawfish tails at home before, but I especially like the recipe below for appetizers, or tapas. I found this recipe in "Taste of Home" (Feb/March 2010 issue) and it's incredibly easy to make.

CRAWFISH BEIGNETS WITH CAJUN DIPPING SAUCE
1 egg, beaten
1 pound cooked crawfish tails, chopped (shrimp may be substituted)
4 green onions, chopped
2 tsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/3 cup bread flour
Oil, for deep frying

Dipping Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp. horseradish
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce

In a large skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the egg, crawfish, onions, butter, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in flour until blended. Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil, a few at a time. Fry until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, and pepper sauce. Serve with beignets.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment