Thursday, April 1, 2010

Book #19: ANGRY HOUSEWIVES EATING BON-BONS by Lorna Landvik

Disclaimer: You have to read this book!!!!!!


Light-hearted, genuine (why would I fake them?) tears, and countless laugh-out-loud (or LOL for the younger generations) moments.....that's what I experienced reading Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons. What a great, memorable, enjoyable, and pleasant read. In case you couldn't tell, I liked this book...A LOT!

To whom do I most relate to? Well, let's examine that, because I've certainly given it much thought:

FAITH - She's a lover of books and lived in Texas. She hides a dark past; and, she's a people-pleaser, always wanting to portray perfection when she's crumbling inside...I really don't like the people-pleasing part about myself! For Faith's sake, I'm glad she makes peace with herself, her mother, and her past. I enjoyed reading the letters to her Mother, it seemed to have been a type of therapy for Faith. With each chapter, I longed for the letters at the conclusion...they were like my pajamas at the end of a long day, always there waiting for me. I can relate to personal journals and writing the words I'm afraid to speak. WORDS - spoken or written - ARE POWERFUL. For Faith, I think these letters proved to be the power she needed to acknowledge her past in order to face a better future...without secrets and masks.

MERIT - Enjoys music and dancing, and understands the bounty of God's blessings (though often disguised). She marries the man of her dreams, though she had to wait a while...I can relate - finding love required this me (a Kentucky Girl) to marry Kevin (a Texas Boy); we're living happily ever after and just celebrated 8 years together and 3 of them as husband and wife. I'm so incredibly blessed!!!! :o)

SLIP - She sweats profusely, has frizzy hair and a wild sense of humor, enjoys the personal "religious experience" of a bubble bath, and her mind falls into the gutter quite frequently. To add icing to her cake, she has a husband that absolutely adores her. Even with her strong opinions, I think Slip - in a way - becomes the glue of the AHEB group. Without her, the group would be incomplete. A true measure of friendship and relationship occurs at the end of the book when all the ladies surround Slip's hospital bed...but I do find it ironic that Faith is the one with Slip at the very end. A touching, very intimate and special moment between the two ladies.

KARI - A tender-hearted woman who loves all God's children, no matter their skin color and appreciates her high school English teacher for teaching her to think outside-the-box. I cried through a ton of Kleenex when she put her beloved golden retriever, Flicka, to sleep. He became the mascot of the neighborhood and the AHEB book club; once a friend, always a friend. I really want a dog. I could bust a dam right now, just thinking about all the many loved pets (family members) that are in Heaven.

AUDREY - Oh, sweet, sweet Audrey. I love this woman, plus the fact she has a gay 'husband'...I want one too. (No offense Kevin, I love you so much!) Audrey's grandfather spoiled her rotten, she jokes about Former President Johnson's johnson, and her selection for one month's book club meeting was Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex But Were Afraid to Ask. To celebrate her birthday, she polished off a quart of orange sherbet topped with chocolate syrup and a pan of Rice Krispies. I can't say enough about Audrey, including her boobies: "...my big beautiful breasts were still big and beautiful; they're like the Loyalist Party, always faithful to the queen." HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Like Audrey, though, I can see myself in her not only because of the larger-than-life sense of humor, but I think she hides her inner struggles by making others laugh, pleasing others around her. I was incredibly proud when she went into ministry and found the will of God in her own life. Shout out to Rev. L, my mentor and buddy!

Alright, it's anonymous, I love Audrey...and Slip...and Kari...and Merit...and Faith. I LOVED THEM ALL and see a piece of myself in each of them.

GREAT BOOK - tons of laughs, lots of notes in the margins, and a great read for book club.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love this book!! So glad you're reading it :)

    ReplyDelete