Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book #14: "I Can" Evangelism

How do I share my faith? I can't find fancy, eloquent words. I can't attest to bringing lots of people to their knees and accepting Christ as their Savior. I can't get past the fact that I might be rejected, denied, or embarrassed. I don't want to offend anyone. I don't have a dramatic story to tell. I don't have all the answers. I don't want to fail - myself or God.......This book is entirely dedicated to taking the "I can't" out of sharing your faith. So, lose the I-can't-disease and get equipped with God's grace, wisdom, and protective armor to say I CAN do this for His praise and glory!

Everybody knows the song/nursery rhyme "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," so let's sing it together now:

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are!

 
I happily admit one of my all-time favorite songs is "This Little Light of Mine." When there are candlelight services at church for various holidays and celebrations, I always think of this message and hum it to myself. I also remember Y.E.S. and Chrysalis weekends that, as part of the fourth-day commission, we would hold small candles, lift our voices and sing to God:
 
This little light of mine, I'm gonna get it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let is shine.
 
I accepted Christ as my Savior at Vacation Bible School when I was 13 years old. I remember the day as if it were yesterday; it was a personally and spiritually special day. But, as a mature in age - and in faith - I am constantly aware that I am in continuous transformation. Evangelism, I've learned with this book, is a layered process, offering our light, over time, in multiple degrees of brillance to those whom God puts into our lives. Sometimes dim. Sometimes clear. Other times bright and clear. The fact of the matter is, simply, my light is always on.  
 
Evangelism is a process...We need to shine, and shine, and continue to shine...While we don't have control over when and how the one in darkness will respond - that is truly the work of the Holy Spirit - we do have the choice to be bright lights to light the way of hope for others. In time, the results will be revealed.
 
We live in a dark world. But God's light has come into us, and he calls us to twinkle...We need to move beyond a posture of fear, face the possible dangers of simple approaches, and make room for what God is doing in new ways of thinking. Nothing around us is a surprise to Him.
 
I want to share the story below (also from the book) because it truly defines the significance we each have within ourselves. I love this story for its truth, and inspiration, to never - ever! - give up. There are so many lessons to be learned if we are willing to accept their truths. I think this is a great philosophy for teachers too, you never really know the impact you might have on ONE student. Beautiful.
 
A young boy walked along the beach one evening. He came upon a starfish, stranded yards from the tide, struggling for life. The boy reached down and gently lifted the starfish and returned it to the ocean.
 
A man approached the boy and asked, "Why are you bothering with that starfish? They die up tide all the time, by the hundreds. That won't make a difference."
 
Raising his eyes to the man, the young boy said, "It'll make a difference to this one."
 
Other truths and declarations I CAN do now:

...accept people just as they are.

...be a friend.

...be real.

...help the children in my life know the Jesus I know.

...offer hope in the daily minutes of life.

...partner with others.

...offer help and hope in crisis.

...serve.

...accept the doubts in others.

...share my faith at holidays.

...leave room for wonder.

...keep trying even when it seems hopeless.

...trust God with the results of my efforts.

...leave a legacy of light.

Twinkle, twinkle litte star. This little light of mine, I will make it shine for others to see. I can make a difference with my God-given light.

Peace and love,
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment