Monday, July 12, 2010

Book #27: THE SHACK by William P. Young

This is going to be a very difficult post for me because this book is that good. I have read The Shack twice and it gets better every time. I do not know where to begin or exactly what to say, but I pray that God will guide my words to TRY to convey the emotions that are in my heart. This really and truly is a wonderfully written book, I highly recommend it.

If I choose to appear to you as a man or a woman, it's because I love you. For me to appear to you as a woman and suggest that you call me Papa is simply to mix metaphors, to help you keep from falling so easily back into your religious conditioning.

What religious conditioning, stereotypes do I need to release? How does my narrow-minded perspective prevent me from producing the fruit God will enjoy?

In the beginning, it was difficult for me to fathom the idea that God was characterized by a heavy black woman named Papa. But now, I understand it more and more. I am reminded of my own parents and their qualities of love and companionship. While I cannot comprehend God's unconditional love, I realize that He is the Creator, my Heavenly Father, and a mother offering protection and gentle direction. Because I do not have a child, I do not understand the totality of a parent's love but I am very grateful for God's grace and his desire to be in relationship with me. Earlier, I introduced God (or Papa) as a heavy, African-American woman. Now imagine a Middle Eastern man, dressed as a laborer, and a small Asian woman. You've now met the Holy Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

...everything that Mack could see was now postcard perfect. What if everyone looked at the world through God's eyes? Everything is perfect in His sight. Pure. Organic. Simple. Love.

Lately, I have been experiencing and hearing God whisper to me "relationship." It's the core of my existance: to be in relationship with Him. The most wonderful thing about my personal relationship with God is that it is NOT performance-based. He simply wants to be with me to love me, guide me, and show me His ways. I love that I am not graded or judged by my performance, or lack thereof. God's grace abounds. My reward is not based on a slot machine - it's not about how much I put in or how much I get back. This, truly, is a monumental lesson for me in many areas of my life. Love, grace, mercy, and kindness are good and pleasing to God.

After reading "The Shack" - again - I can only imagine the glory, the magnificance of God's grace. I want to sit with Papa on a front porch and eat scones dipped in milk. I want to color with the Spirit and walk on water with Jesus. What will that day be like? I can only imagine.



What a day that will be!

1 comment:

  1. I've heard so many mixed comments on this book. Glad to hear that you love it--I'll be putting it on my list!

    ReplyDelete