Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Book #25: A HOMEMADE LIFE - Molly Wizenberg


I'm quite embarassed as the creator of Busy Woman's Book Club and the goal-setter of 100-plus-books-in-a-year that I read only one book this past month...that's awful, but I've been awfully busy!!!!!

A Homemade Life was not what I expected; but, I'm not exactly sure what my expectations were either. I enjoyed the different recipes and the stories behind each though. Now that I think of it, this book definitely reads like a blog - so it's not as bad as I originally thought. And there are several things about this book that I really appreciate:
  • Potato Salad - I completely, whole-heartedly agree that you can tell a lot about someone by their potato salad. Personally, I like plain and simple...and definitely NO EGGS. I want potatoes, Hellman's mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, and salt and pepper. I told you like I like it simple.
  • Mullets are way cool, seriously - where else can you get business in the front and party in the back? C'mon, I'm a child of the 80s but I definitely enjoy the entertainment of seeing a mullet.
  • Molly and I share priorities and opinions about turning 21: we'll always choose food over booze.
  • HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN STARVED - 'nuff said.
  • and my favorite Molly quote: "I know exactly what to do with fat-free food, I throw it away."
This was a good story and I'm sure I will thumb through the pages again for the recipes, especially the chocolate cupcakes. Of course, I'll have to deviate a bit due to my dairy allergy, but I'll manage. I'm definitely trying the Wizenberg Method of cutting butter though, that's a genius idea for crisps!

No comments:

Post a Comment